More Turkish soldiers killed in the ongoing war in South Kurdistan

The guerrillas continue to resist the Turkish invasion of southern Kurdistan. According to HPG, the Turkish army has used chemical weapons with an acrid chlorine smell against guerrilla positions.

The guerrillas continue to resist the Turkish army which has been conducting an invasion operation in the Medya Defense Zones in southern Kurdistan (northern Iraq) since April 17.

According to the daily statement published by the Press Centre of the People's Defense Forces (HPG), mobile guerrilla units have carried out a series of actions against the Turkish troops, leaving three soldiers and three contras dead and three other soldiers injured. The guerrillas seized a Kalashnikov (AK-47) and destroyed a jammer device. Meanwhile, guerrilla areas were attacked 19 times by fighter jets, 26 times by attack helicopters, 11 times with chemical weapons and explosives and dozens of times with howitzers. In addition to the regions of Avaşîn, Zap and Metîna, Gare and Qandil were also affected by the attacks.


HPG reported a guerrilla action carried out on 29 June with heavy weapons against a Turkish unit at the Werxelê mountain massif in the Avaşîn region. On 30 June, mobile guerrilla groups struck a supply transport for the Turkish army: "A group of contras carrying food to the Turkish occupation forces was targeted with hand grenades and firearms by our mobile units near the village of Nêrwe near Ertûş. Three contras were punished," the HPG said. A Kalashnikov was recovered from the bodies.

On 1 July, two soldiers were killed and three soldiers were injured in a coordinated guerrilla action in the Koker area. The action was carried out by mobile units with heavy weapons and firearms.


At 5 pm on 1 July, a column of tanks tried to advance from the Turkish border towards Çemço. The attempt was stopped by the guerrillas with heavy weapons and sniper tactics.


At nine o'clock on 1 July, a Turkish unit was struck by guerrillas after starting to move at Girê Cûdî. A soldier carrying a jammer device on his back was killed and the device destroyed. When other soldiers tried to intervene in the action area, they were targeted by mobile guerrilla groups with hand grenades and firearms. One soldier was killed here and the body is in the area controlled by the guerrillas.

At 4.30 p.m., Turkish forces used explosives against a guerrilla position at Girê Cûdî and then tried to advance further. The advance was stopped by sabotage action and the troops had to withdraw.


The guerrilla tunnels in the Şikefta Birîndara, Girê FM and Girê Cûdî areas were attacked eleven times by the Turkish army on Friday with chemical weapons and explosives. According to HPG information, the ordnance used had an acrid chlorine smell.

The Turkish army carried out artillery attacks on the areas of Koker, Çemço, Girê Herkarî and Girê Amêdî. The areas of Koker, Kurojahro, Girê Karker, Şikefta Birîndara and Saca were attacked by helicopters. Fighter jets bombed Girê Hekarî and Girê Amêdî as well as the villages of Zevk in Gare, Şiyê in Dînartê and Dopala in Qandil.