HPG reports ongoing guerrilla actions and Turkish occupation attacks

The resistance against the Turkish invasion in Southern Kurdistan continues. As reported by the HPG, YJA Star guerrillas targeted summit positions of the occupation forces in Mamreşo. Continued air and ground attacks are reported from Avaşîn.

The women's guerrilla force YJA Star hit the Turkish army summit positions in the Avaşîn region of Medya Defense Zones in southern Kurdistan (northern Iraq). Friday's action by YJA Star was directed against positions of the occupation forces on Hill Şehîd Munzur and was carried out with heavy weapons, according to a statement issued by the press office of the People's Defense Forces (HPG). The total number of dead and injured in the operation could not be determined. Transport helicopters were dispatched to the area for the evacuation of soldiers.

Attacks against defense positions in Werxelê

The Turkish army attacked the Werxelê Resistance Area with explosives on Thursday afternoon. More bombardments followed on Friday morning, and attacks with heavy weapons were also recorded. 

Further air and artillery attacks

Regarding further attacks by the Turkish military on September 23 in southern Kurdistan, the following was reported: At 7 p.m. local time, the village of Sergelê near Amadiya was bombed by fighter jets. Between 11 p.m. and 12:20 a.m., helicopters flew over the areas of Girê Silêman, Mervanos and Tabûra Ereban in Avaşîn. At the same time, the areas of Geliyê Basya, Girê Silêman, Girê Şehîd Fırat and Qartal came under fire from attack helicopters. Helicopter activity was recorded over Tabûra Ereba early Saturday morning.

The surrounding areas of the villages of Kêste, Hirorê, Dêşîşê, Edînê and Seararû as well as the areas of Koordîne and Kela Qûmriyê near Kanî Masî were simultaneously bombed from the air and by border guards on the ground both on the evening of September 23 and last night. There are no indications of casualties among the civilian population or among the guerrillas.

Guerrilla action in Ağrı

HPG also provided information on an action in the Ağrı province that took place earlier on August 13 when a radio base station in Diyadin district was destroyed by guerrillas. A Turkish military operation launched the following day was halted that same evening without results.