22 Turkish soldiers killed in guerrilla actions saluting 15 August

Twenty-two members of the Turkish occupation forces were killed in guerrilla actions in northern and southern Kurdistan. Two military vehicles were destroyed, and an attack helicopter was hit by guerrillas.

According to the press centre of the People's Defense Forces (HPG), 22 members of the Turkish occupation forces were killed in guerrilla actions in northern and southern Kurdistan, including three non-commissioned officers. Two Kirpi and Reo vehicles, four surveillance cameras and two positions were destroyed, another position and an attack helicopter were damaged. The helicopter is believed to have crashed, but there are no eyewitness reports on this. In addition, the guerrillas confiscated two shields, a pistol and a camera, as well as the helmet of a killed soldier named Haydar Çelik to prove his identity. According to the HPG, the guerrilla actions took place to welcome the anniversary of the beginning of the armed struggle on 15 August 1984.

The HPG gave the following information on the individual guerrilla actions and the attacks by the Turkish army:

Sabotage action by YJA Star in Hakkari

On 1 August, mobile fighters of the YJA Star (Free Women’s Troops) observed a military convoy driving from Şemdinli towards Rubarok in the northern Kurdish province of Hakkari. At 12.30 p.m., the convoy was hit near the village of Lavreza using sabotage tactics. An armored vehicle was completely destroyed, three non-commissioned officers and four counter-guerrillas were killed. The Turkish army then launched an operation in the area, which was unsuccessfully stopped.

Guerrilla actions in the Girê Cûdî, Girê Amêdî and Girê FM areas

On 3 August, various guerrilla actions took place in the Girê Cûdî, Girê Amêdî and Girê FM areas. At 5.35 a.m., mobile guerrilla units struck a Turkish unit at Girê Cûdî from two flanks with light and heavy weapons. Four soldiers were killed in the action, two positions were destroyed, and one position was damaged.

At 8 a.m., a Turkish squad advancing towards a guerrilla tunnel at Girê Amêdî, was ambushed and struck by guerrillas with hand grenades and firearms. While one soldier was killed and the others retreated, the guerrillas recovered a shield and a camera. At 12.40 pm, another advance was made towards the tunnel, whereupon the guerrillas called on the soldiers to surrender. As the call was not heeded, guerrillas carried out a sabotage action, which was followed by a skirmish in which two soldiers were killed and another injured. The guerrillas confiscated a shield, a pistol, a camera and the helmet of the killed soldier, Haydar Çelik, to prove his identity. The surviving soldiers retreated and were only able to recover the dead at night.

Also, at Girê Amêdî, two soldiers were shot by YJA Star snipers at 12.30 and 8 pm.

At 4.45 pm, YJA Star fighters shot at two helicopters that were on an attack flight towards Girê FM. One of the helicopters was hit and caught fire. After the helicopter left the area towards the Turkish border, an explosion was heard. The suspected crash site was heavily bombed by fighter jets.

At 11.30 p.m., the guerrillas prevented an airdropping operation by the Turkish army at Girê Amêdî with heavy weapons.

Military vehicle blown up in Avaşîn

In the Mamreş area in Avaşîn, guerrillas carried out a sabotage action against a Turkish military vehicle of the Reo type on 1 August. The vehicle was completely destroyed, three soldiers were killed and another was injured. The Turkish army brought the dead out of the area two hours later with two helicopters.

In Werxelê, the guerrillas destroyed four surveillance cameras installed by the Turkish army on 3 August.

Skirmish in Zap

In the Zap region, a skirmish occurred between the guerrillas and the Turkish invading forces in the Çemço area at 8.30 am on 2 August. Two soldiers were killed and one injured.

On 3 August, a soldier was killed in an action carried out by guerrillas with heavy weapons in the Şikefta Birîndara area. YJA Star guerrillas hit a Turkish unit in Çemço with heavy weapons on the same day.

Attacks by the Turkish army

The Turkish army uses chemical agents against guerrilla positions every day. On 3 August, nine such attacks were carried out in Werxelê, Karker and Çemço.

The HPG also reported ten airstrikes by fighter jets, as well as 42 helicopter attacks and dozens of artillery attacks on guerrilla areas in southern Kurdistan.