HPG: 24 soldiers killed in guerrilla actions dedicated to the martyrs of May

Guerrilla operations in the Medya Defense Zones left 24 soldiers of the Turkish army dead. The guerrillas destroyed several Turkish military positions and seized ten kilos of TNT. In addition, a drone was shot down.

The mobile guerrilla units in the Medya Defense Zones in southern Kurdistan (northern Iraq) continue to carry out effective actions against the Turkish invasion forces. According to the daily statement of the People's Defense Forces (HPG) Press Center, 24 soldiers have been killed in the latest actions by guerrillas. According to the HPG Press Center, three Turkish military positions, an A4 weapon, a BKC weapon, two military tents, a drone and a Turkish Army surveillance camera system were destroyed, and meters of detonating fuse and ten kilograms of TNT were seized. HPG dedicated the actions to the martyrs of May.

Regarding the details of the guerrilla actions on May 16 and 15, HPG provided the following information:


On May 16, mobile guerrilla groups infiltrated a unit of the Turkish army on the Werxelê mountain massif at 11:45. The soldiers took flight with the first shots fired, and the guerrillas destroyed a surveillance camera system.

At 1:45 p.m., the guerrillas' defensive positions were attacked by a Turkish military unit with explosives and chemical weapons. The guerrillas counterattacked from two sides and destroyed an A4 position, killing two soldiers at close range. The second guerrilla group also attacked at close range and destroyed a BKC position, killing one soldier. Two other positions and a surveillance camera were damaged.

In the evening, four more actions were carried out against the occupation forces, which then continued to withdraw. The number of soldiers killed or injured here could not be determined.


On May 15, a Turkish soldier was killed in a guerrilla action at Girê Şehîd Cûdî in the resistance area of Karker. On the same day, the guerrillas carried out a sabotage action in the Kuro Jahro resistance area as a Turkish unit was advancing toward Kelê. The number of soldiers killed or injured here could not be determined.

On May 16 at 10:30 a.m., a guerrilla action from three flanks targeted a Turkish unit that was between the Şehîd Harûn and Şehîd Tolhildan hills in the Kuro Jahro resistance area. A guerrilla group went into action from close range, killing four soldiers and wounding two others. The second group targeted a position, killing one soldier and injuring another. Guerrilla snipers focused on the fleeing soldiers, leaving one of them dead. Guerrillas from YJA Star (Free Women’s Troops) used heavy weapons to fire at other soldiers approaching from the surrounding area.

At 4 p.m., a mobile guerrilla unit attacked two Turkish military positions at Kuro Jahro. Three soldiers were killed in the action, one position was completely destroyed, the other partially.

On May 16 morning, Turkish troops tried to blow up a guerrilla position in the Şikefta Birîndara resistance area. The guerrillas intervened, whereupon the soldiers fled, leaving their equipment behind. 13 meters of detonating fuse (cortex) and ten kilograms of TNT were seized by the guerrillas.

At 9:30 a.m., mobile guerrilla groups struck a Turkish unit from two flanks at Girê Ortê in the Karker resistance area. Five soldiers were killed and two military tents were destroyed. At 2:30 p.m., a Turkish drone was shot down in the same area.

In the Çiyareş resistance area, attempted advances by the Turkish army to Girê Cehennem were repelled by guerrillas at 7, 10 and 11 pm. In the resistance area of Şehîd Şahîn, the guerrillas intervened with heavy weapons against a Turkish unit attempting to attack a guerrilla position with chemical weapons and explosives. The unit was forced to partially retreat.


Two soldiers were killed in a YJA Star action against Turkish occupation forces at Girê Şehîd Axîn carried out with heavy weapons at 1 p.m. on May 16.


A guerrilla action carried out with heavy weapons targeted the main entrance of the Turkish Sîrê military base in the Sheladize district on May 10. At least four soldiers were killed during the action.


Regarding the Turkish army's continued attacks on the Medya Defense Zones, HPG reported that the Girê Hakkarî in Metîna was bombed twice by fighter jets at 10:30 p.m. on May 15. At the same time, the Koordine area and the surroundings of the villages of Dêşîşê, Seraro and Êdinê came under artillery fire from Turkish border posts.

On May 16, the Girê Hefttebax in Gare was bombed by fighter jets. The areas of Gundê Fileha, Girê Cûdî and Girê FM in the Zap region were hit by 13 airstrikes on the same day. On May 17 morning, the areas of Karker, Saca and Çemço in Zap were bombed seven times by fighter jets and were also attacked with artillery.