Guerrillas turn the 'Kevirê Kun' area into a graveyard for Turkish troops

The Turkish invasion operation in the guerrilla-held Medya Defense Zones in southern Kurdistan (northern Iraq) is met with fierce resistance from the guerrilla forces.

Putting up splendid resistance to the Turkish invasion, guerrillas have turned the 'Kevirê Kun' area in Şikefta Birîndara in Zap region into a graveyard for the Turkish troops.

After guerrillas did not allow Sikorsky helicopters to enter the area, Turkish soldiers attempted in vain to advance on the ground despite the heavy deployment of village guards. Bodies of the soldiers killed here remained in Kevirê Kun for 20 days. Leaving the corpses to rot, the Turkish army did not even bother to make a statement regarding the situation on the ground.

From the 14th to the 17th of April, 2022, the Turkish army heavily bombed Şikefta Birîndara with airstrikes and howitzer fire. Claiming to have killed almost all of the guerrilla forces in the area, the Turkish army attempted to airdrop troops in Şikefta Birîndara by Sikorsky helicopters on April 17.

The guerrillas in the battle tunnels and on the ground did not allow any helicopters to airdrop troops in Şikefta Birîndara despite the cover of at least 4 reconnaissance aircraft. Having suffered strikes and damage, the helicopters involved in the mission had to leave the area.

On April 18 and afterwards, the Turkish troops attempted to enter the area under the cover of intense airstrikes, attacks by helicopters and movements by land. Their attempts to approach the battle tunnels in Şikefta Birîndara remained inconclusive.

The mobile guerrilla teams, who have undertaken a great mission since the start of the battle in mid April, managed to repel the Turkish soldiers and did not allow them to approach the tunnels.

Turkish soldiers then tried unsuccessfully to escape from the area with the help of umbrellas and raincoats but still couldn’t avoid being struck by guerrillas.

Pulling their casualties to Kevirê Kun, far from the range where the guerrillas’ battle tunnels are located, the Turkish forces had to disperse in the field.

The guerrillas in Şikefta Birîndara stated that bodies of over 20 soldiers remained in Kevirê Kun in the first days of the battle, and the bodies were covered with raincoats and canvasses. As guerrillas did not allow Sikorsky helicopters to enter the area, bodies of dead soldiers have remained in Kevirê Kun for 20 days. Unable to move by land and retrieve the bodies, the Turkish army sent village guards into the area to retrieve the bodies, but failed.

Making no statement on the aftermath of the soldiers it dispatched to Şikefta Birîndara, the Turkish army continues to spread fabricated news to cover up the losses it has suffered in its war against the guerrillas.