Cemil Bayik: International forces must take a stand
For one week, massive attacks of Turkey on Southern Kurdistan are taking place. Cemil Bayik of the KCK holds the South Kurdistan and Iraqi governments as well as the UN, the USA and Europe responsible and demands a statement.
Cemil Bayik, co-chair of the KCK (Kurdistan Communities Union) Executive Council, spoke about the current Turkish invasion of Southern Kurdistan in a special programme on Stêrk TV. At the beginning of the week, Turkey launched a new attack on the Kurdish autonomous region in northern Iraq with the de facto approval of the international community of states. The surroundings of the Maxmur refugee camp, the Yazidi settlement area Shengal and guerrilla areas were bombed for hours. On Wednesday, Turkey’s military action, which violates international law, was extended by an air and ground invasion in the region of Haftanin.
Cemil Bayik made the following evaluation:
These attacks are nothing new. They are part of a concept against our people and our movement. The aim is to smash the liberation movement in order to commit genocide against the Kurds. As long as the PKK is not smashed, genocide cannot be completed. The aim is to make the Kurdish people have no more leadership, vanguard, politics, struggle and organisation. Therefore, Abdullah Ocalan and the leaders in the Kurdish movement and politics are at the centre of the attacks. The air attacks on Maxmur, Shengal and the Medya Defense Zones are part of this concept.
As I said, these attacks are taking place constantly, but now a new offensive is to be launched against our movement and people. The attacks on Maxmur, Shengal and the Medya Defense Zones are meant to prepare the ground for this. Everyone should be aware of this. Our people and all active members of the movement must be vigilant. The attacks are meant to break their will. Therefore, the attacks should be the occasion for us to strengthen our will and our struggle. The other side must know that it cannot break our will.
Neither the Government of Southern Kurdistan nor the Iraqi Government, the UN, the USA or Europe reacted to the air attacks earlier this week. There is, of course, a reason for this. All of them knew beforehand that these attacks would happen. Some of them helped Turkey and gave it permission. Turkey was told: we are behind you, do it. Otherwise, Turkey would never have been able to bomb for hours, it would not have been possible.
The Maxmur refugee camp is under the protection of the UN and the airspace is controlled by the USA and Iraq. In this respect, the governments in Hewlêr (Erbil) and Baghdad, as well as the UN and the USA, are responsible for the attacks. Our people must hold them responsible. These forces must make it clear whether or not they support the attacks. Did they help Turkey or not? Did they give permission or not? Our people and we have the right to know. If they do not take a stand, it will mean that they cooperate with Turkey and Turkey attacks with their permission. Our people should be aware of that. Our people expect a statement. If no statement is forthcoming, we will hold these forces responsible for the attacks.