HPG: 15 Turkish soldiers were killed in guerrilla actions

Three Turkish soldiers were killed in sniper actions by the guerrillas in Zap, while twelve other occupants died in a series of actions in Metîna.

In the Zap region in Southern Kurdistan, three Turkish soldiers were killed in sniper actions by the guerrillas in the past 24 hours, according to Monday’s statement by the Media and Communication Centre of the People's Defense Forces (HPG) about the ongoing fighting in the guerrilla-held Medya Defense Zones. Two of the actions took place in Girê FM and Girê Cûdî on Sunday evening, and another was carried out in Girê Amêdî on Monday morning. There were no casualties in the ranks of the guerrillas.

In its daily statement, the HPG provided information about a series of guerrilla actions against the Turkish invasion in Metîna. "On 26 July, our mobile units struck the occupiers in the Girê Hekarî resistance area. Between 12 and 13 o'clock, several actions were carried out, including those of sniper units. As a result of this series, at least eight occupiers were punished."

Following these actions, the guerrillas infiltrated the position of the Turkish invading forces, using hand grenades and light to medium weapons. Four more soldiers were killed as a result of the strikes by guerrillas. In the course of the ensuing fighting, guerrilla fighter Serhed Zîlan, who led the infiltration and the preceding series of actions, was fatally wounded. The personal details of the fallen guerrilla fighter are as follows:

Nom de Guerre: Serhed Zîlan
First-Last Name: Şehriyar Kudekîstanî
Birthplace: Maku
Mother's-Father's Name: Gulistan – Muhammed
Date and Place of Martyrdom: 26 July 2022 
/ Metîna

Serhed Zîlan was born in the resistance stronghold of Maku in Eastern Kurdistan (Iran). He felt connected to the Kurdish liberation movement at an early age and joined the guerrillas in 2016. In the mountains, he stayed in the different regions of the Medya Defense Zones since the beginning of the invasion of Metîna, which was launched in April. There, he took part in almost all frontline guerrilla offensives.

"Although he was seriously injured in his last action, our companion Serhed put up selfless resistance until the last moment before joining the caravan of martyrs. In view of his loss, we extend our condolences to the relatives of comrade Serhed and the patriotic people of Kurdistan. We promise to remain united to the spirit of our comrade and to achieve victory."

Ongoing Turkish attacks

Regarding the attacks by the Turkish army, the HPG stated that on 31 July, various agents and tactical weapons were used twice against guerrilla positions. The target of these attacks was the Girê Cûdî resistance area. The guerrilla areas of Çemço ve Sîda were bombed four times by combat aircraft, while the HPG recorded 36 attacks with combat helicopters in Kurojahro, Girê Hekarî as well as also at Girê Cûdî. Intensive reconnaissance flights were observed over Girê Amêdî, and dozens of bombings with heavy weapons were carried out there and in Çemço.