MEP Ward calls for an immediate end to Turkish invasion of Rojava
We need an inclusive peace, said British European deputy Julie Ward on the Turkish military offensive seeking to invade North and East Syria.
UK MEP Julie Ward made a speech in the European Parliament wearing a Kurdish scarf.
Ward said: “Millions of people from diverse ethnic and religious communities in this region are under threat. Tens of thousands have been displaced. Besides Kurdish and Arabic villages, Christian neighborhoods have been targeted. It's obvious these attacks are carried out by Turkish military with the aim of ethnic cleansing and demographic change.”
Highlighting the need for an inclusive peace, Ward continued: “As a member of Women Defend Rojava, an international campaign against fascism and patriarchy, I raise my voice here to call for:
- An immediate end to Turkey’s invasion and occupation in North and East Syria
- The establishment of a No-Fly-Zone
- An end to the weapons trade with Turkey
- Political and economic sanctions against Turkey
- The recognition of war crimes already committed by Turkey and the prevention of further war crimes and ethnic cleansing by Turkish forces, ISIS, El Nusra and other jihadist terror groups
- The acknowledgement of the democratic Autonomous Administration of the people of North and East Syria
- A political solution with representation and participation of women and people from all the different national, cultural and religious communities in Syria.