New massacre in Colombia leaves at least 7 dead
At least seven people were killed on Sunday in a massacre carried out in the municipality of Buenos Aires, department of Cauca, in Colombia.
The Red por la Vida de los Derechos Humanos de Cauca said in a press release that this is the "ninth massacre to occur in Cauca department since the start of the year, bringing the total number of massacre victims to 35."
So far in September, there have been 11 massacres around Colombia.
The association said: "We do not accept from any point of view, the statements of the National Government and of the Attorney General of the Nation where they classify these massacres as ‘collective murders’, we consider these statements as media distractions in order to not assume political responsibility before a situation that is out of the hands of the national government."
According to the Instituto de Estudios Para el Desarrollo y La Paz (Indepaz), the largest number of massacres have taken place in the departments of Antioquia (14), Cauca (9), Nariño (8) and Norte de Santander (6). Some municipalities along the border with Ecuador have even seen three massacres, according to information as of September 18, 2020.