Iran-US crisis: Where things stand
Five days after the murder of Iranian general Qassem Soleimani in Baghdad, the Iranian regime launched more than 20 missiles against American bases in Iraq. According to Iranian sources, at least 80 people were killed.
The Iranian foreign minister Javad Zarif said on Twitter that his country has taken and "concluded" what he said were "measures in self-defense", indicating that the attacks were over, for now.
Iraqi military sources: 22 missiles fired
Iraqi military sources said that 17 missiles were fired on Al Asad and 5 missiles were fired at a military base in Hewler. According to the Iraqi army, there were no casualties among Iraqi soldiers.
Trump: So far so good!
US president Donald Trump has tweeted after hours of silence. "Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good!" he said, adding that he will be making a statement on Wednesday morning.
Iran President Rouhani to make a statement today
It is expected that Iranian president Hasan Rouhani will make a statement today.
The time of the missile launch coincided with the time of the assassination of General Qassem Soleimani carried out by the US last Friday.
UK Foreign Secretary condemned attack
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has condemned the missile attacks carried out by Iran on two military bases housing U.S. and coalition troops in Iraq and has urged Iran "not to repeat these reckless and dangerous attacks".
Confusion over US and Coalition forces withdrawal
Before Iran launched its missiles to US bases in Iraq, allegations were made that American troops would withdraw from Iraq. A letter from a military official was leaked showing that the soldiers in Iraq would be redeployed.
However in a statement Tuesday, Trump denied withdrawal. Stating that withdrawal from Iraq would be the "worst thing in the current situation", Trump added that "one day they would pull out but this time has not come yet".
Uncertainty and disagreements have also come to light as to the withdrawal of International anti-ISIS Coalition troops. France and Italy announced that they will remain in Iraq, but the Canadians and the Germans announced that they would partially deploy their troops in Jordan and Kuwait. NATO has temporarily withdrawn some of its personnel in Iraq.