HPG reports guerrilla actions in Zap and Siirt, clash in Avaşîn

In Siirt, one Turkish soldier was killed in an infiltration operation, and another was wounded. In Zap, guerrillas sabotaged the expansion of Turkish military positions, and fierce fighting broke out in Werxelê after renewed attacks.

In the Siirt province of North Kurdistan, at least one Turkish soldier was killed in an infiltration operation by guerrillas, and another military member was injured. This was announced by the press office of the People's Defense Forces (HPG) in a review of the war in Kurdistan issued on Saturday. According to the statement, the action was carried out last Wednesday and was directed against a covert unit that was laying ambushes in the Şehîd Berxwedan area on Mount Herekol. According to HPG sources, the Turkish army tried unsuccessfully to enter the guerrilla area for an extended period of time. On Thursday morning, the soldiers withdrew.

The results of an operation in Dersim, which took place on May 22, also appear in the report. Accordingly, contras moving in Ovacık district were struck by guerrillas. The shelling was carried out at close range and there were two casualties. In addition, the Contras' vehicle was destroyed.

Expansion of positions sabotaged

In the Medya Defense Zones in southern Kurdistan (northern Iraq), guerrillas hit the occupation forces in the Zap region this Saturday. As a result of artillery fire with heavy weapons, new positions were prevented from being fortified in the Cîloyê Biçûk area.

HPG guerrilla killed by poison gas

The Werxelê mountain massif in Avaşîn, southern Kurdistan, has again been attacked with chemical weapons. The HPG registered eight attacks with chemical agents and explosive devices throughout Thursday. Fierce fighting broke out in the evening, and the guerrillas were able to repel the advance of the occupation forces. At least four chemical attacks took place on Friday, and the Turkish army used poison gas again today. The HPG further informed that one of their members died on August 28 as a result of an attack with chemical weapons against the defense positions at Girê Sor. The identity of the fighter will be announced at a later date, it said.

Airstrikes on Southern Kurdistan

According to the HPG statement, the Turkish army again carried out airstrikes on civilian settlement areas in southern Kurdistan. On both September 9 and 10, attack helicopters bombed the outskirts of the villages of Êdinê, Dêşîşê and Serarû in the late evening hours in Kanî Masî near Amadiya. Additional airstrikes were directed against Kela Qûmriyê and Koordîne. Earlier on both days, helicopters intensively overflew the Qaşûra line in Metîna. Also two days ago, an airstrike hit the village of Şiyê in Dînartê near Akre.

In Avaşîn last night, the Turkish army's air surveillance focused on the guerrilla areas of Mervanos, Tabûra Ereba, Girê Spî, Gîrê Sor and Girê Silêman. Around the same time, the slopes of the Girê Şehîd Întîkam, Geliyê Basya, Girê Lanet and Girê Qartal hills were bombed by combat helicopters.