MSD and SDF condemn the deadly attack in Afrin
The Syrian Democratic Council (MSD) and the General Commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have condemned yesterday's attack in Afrin.
A tanker truck exploded on a busy road in Afrin on Tuesday. At least 40 people, among them many civilians, were killed in the attack, and many more were injured. So far, no one has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Mazlum Abdi, General Commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), has described yesterday's attack in Afrin as a "terrorist attack" that "must be condemned".
Abdi wrote on Twitter: "Many completely innocent people lost their lives in this attack. This cruel attack in the land of peace and olive is a consequence of the destructive policies of the Turkish state."
The Syrian Democratic Council (MSD) also condemned the attack and said: "For a long time the people of Afrin have been living with terror. Civilians are kidnapped, their homes are robbed and they are murdered. The demographic composition of the region is being actively changed. This attack serves the same goal."
The MSD criticised the Turkish state for not respecting the ceasefire agreed with the US and Russia, and also recalled the Turkish drone attack on Kobanê on Tuesday night.
The statement released by MSD on Wednesday said:"As the MSD, we condemn every attack against the civilian population in Afrin. The terrorist gangs, with the support of the Turkish state, have carried out numerous such attacks. We appeal to the international public to take responsibility and stop the Turkish occupation and attacks immediately. A climate for a solution in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 2254 must be created."
Resolution 2254 calls for an immediate cessation of hostilities, in particular attacks against the civilian population.