233 bodies to be buried in nameless cemetery
233 bodies will be buried in the cemetery of the nameless unless anybody appeals to claim them.
267 bodies of people who lost their lives on various dates and had been buried n the Upper Olek (Oleka Jor) village’s countryside in central Bitlis had been sent to the Istanbul Forensic Medicine Institute (ATK) and have been kept in there since December 19, 2017. Despite the 443 days since the bodies were taken to the ATK, only 2 families have been able to receive their relatives’ bodies. The remaining 265 bodies are still in the ATK.
“APPEALS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED AT ONCE”
32 families have appealed to receive bodies to date, while 233 bodies are unaccounted for. Human Rights Association’s (IHD) Tatvan chapter urged families to submit appeals at once, as otherwise the 233 bodies could be buried in the cemetery of the nameless.
“GOES AGAINST BOTH HUMANITY AND ISLAM”
Sebap Doner, father of Abdulhamit Doner whose body was removed from the grave, said they appealed to the ATK for 3 months, but they have received no answer. Doner said: “Them not giving us our bodies goes against both humanity’s laws and Islamic law. There is no place for such acts in conscience. They should have given us back our bodies according to the laws of the state as well. I have been waiting for over 3 months. We don’t even know how much longer we will wait.” Doner called on the families who haven’t appealed to receive the bodies: “All families whose bodies were removed from the grave but who haven’t appealed should go and appeal to receive the bodies.”
CEMETERY HAD BEEN TORN DOWN
The Garzan Cemetery in the Upper Olek village countryside in central Bitlis, with 267 graves of people who lost their lives on various dates, had been torn down with construction equipment on December 19, 2017 and the graves had been opened, with bodies then sent to the Istanbul Forensic Medicine Institute (ATK).