"March to Hakkari for Democracy" continues in Yüksekova

The first day of the "March to Hakkari for Democracy" was completed. Today the activists will make a press statement in Yüksekova.


The "March to Hakkari for Democracy" will continue today with a statement and march to be held at 11am in Yüksekova (Gever). The marchers will visit the villages of Yüksekova and then move on to Çelê district.

The first day of the three-day march against the usurpation of people's will in Hakkari (Colemêrg) has been completed. The march, which took place before the rally to be held on 13 June with the motto "Municipalities belong to the people, we will not allow usurpation", was organized by the Democratic Society Congress (DTK), People's Democratic Congress (HDK), Democratic Regions Party (DBP), Tevgera Jinên Azad (Free Women's Movement -TJA). It was held under the leadership of the DEM Party, Labor and Freedom Alliance, DEM Party components and civil society organizations (NGOs). Participants of the march went from village to village wearing aprons with the words "No access to trustees!" and "Em rê nadin Qeyûman".

DEM Party MP Öznur Bartın said: "A trustee was appointed against the will of the people of Hakkari. This march will continue with our people. This march will not stop until the usurpation of our people's will ends."

Invitation to march on 13 June

The marchers went to the village of Darê and held a public meeting there. DEM Party Deputy Saruhan Oluç said: "The government wants to appoint trustees once again. They want, as long as they are in power, to force cities to be governed by those they choose, not those elected by the people. We invite all our people to the rally we will hold on 13 June to oppose the usurpation of our will."

The Hakkari Municipality won by the Peoples' Equality and Democracy Party (DEM Party) in the 31 March local elections was usurped by a government-appointed trustee on 3 June. Co-Mayor Mehmet Sıddık Akış, who was removed from office by the decision of the Turkish Ministry of Interior, was arrested with a prison sentence of 19 years and 6 months in a case that has been ongoing for 10 years.