HPG: Guerrillas responded to Turkish attacks to defend themselves

The Kurdish liberation movement has stopped all actions for humanitarian reasons after the earthquake disaster on 6 February. The guerrillas are therefore in a defensive position and only take action in self-defence.

Despite the cessation of actions by the guerrilla forces since the February 6 earthquake, the Turkish invading forces continue to attack the guerrilla-held Medya Defence Zones in southern Kurdistan (northern Iraq).

According to the daily statement by the Press Office of the People's Defence Forces (HPG), the Turkish invading forces carried out 39 attacks on the Medya Defence Zones on Monday. The targets of the attacks were guerrilla areas in the regions of Zap and Metîna.

In Metîna, the Golka and Girê Çarçêl areas were bombed by fighter jets. In addition, Girê Çarçêl and guerrilla positions in Çemço and Sîda in Zap were attacked 37 times with howitzers, tanks and heavy weapons.

On the other hand, armed confrontations erupted when guerrillas responded to the attacks in Sîda.

Turkey's attacks continue despite a ceasefire announced by the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK). The decision was taken after the devastating earthquake disaster in the Turkish-Syrian border area on 6 February. The Kurdish guerrillas, which include the HPG and the YJA Star (Free Women's Troops), are implementing the call for a cessation of all hostilities and are in a defensive position.

In a statement on February 9, the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK), an umbrella organization of the Kurdish freedom movement of which the PKK (Kurdistan Workers Party) is also a member, called for a halt of military actions in Turkey, in metropolises and cities. “It is necessary to prevent the people from experiencing even more suffering in this affliction”, said Cemil Bayık, co-chairman of the executive council of the KCK.

The Central Headquarters of the People's Defence Forces (HSM) expressed support for the KCK's call and said on February 11 that the guerrillas were ready to do their part to alleviate the suffering of people.

On March 27, the KCK Executive Council co-chair Besê Hozat announced that the unilateral ceasefire would remain in place until after the elections to be held in Turkey on May 14.