HPG: Turkish attacks on guerrilla areas continue

The invading Turkish state continues its attacks against guerrilla areas in North Kurdistan despite the inaction of the Kurdish forces.

While the guerrillas have been in a defensive position for humanitarian reasons since the severe earthquake in the Turkish-Syrian border region on 6 February, the Turkish state continues its attacks against guerrilla areas.

According to the daily statement by the Press Office of the People's Defence Forces (HPG), the Turkish army continues its attacks on guerrilla areas in the Medya Defense Zones in southern Kurdistan (northern Iraq).

HPG reported that the guerrilla positions in the Sida area of the Zap region were attacked on April 7. Guerrillas responded to the attack in self-defense, which resulted in a confrontation between the two sides.

On the same day, the area of Girê Bahar was shelled by fighter jets, while the Girê Cûdî resistance area, as well as the guerrilla positions in Çemço and Sîda were targeted by 26 attacks with helicopters, howitzers, tanks and heavy weapons.

Turkey's attacks continue despite a ceasefire announced by the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK). The decision was taken after the devastating earthquake disaster in the Turkish-Syrian border area on 6 February. The Kurdish guerrillas, which include the HPG and the YJA Star (Free Women's Troops), are implementing the call for a cessation of all hostilities and are in a defensive position.

In a statement on February 9, the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK), an umbrella organization of the Kurdish freedom movement of which the PKK (Kurdistan Workers Party) is also a member, called for a halt of military actions in Turkey, in metropolises and cities. “It is necessary to prevent the people from experiencing even more suffering in this affliction”, said Cemil Bayık, co-chairman of the executive council of the KCK.

The Central Headquarters of the People's Defence Forces (HSM) expressed support for the KCK's call and said on February 11 that the guerrillas were ready to do their part to alleviate the suffering of people.

On March 27, the KCK Executive Council co-chair Besê Hozat announced that the unilateral ceasefire would remain in place until after the elections to be held in Turkey on May 14.