HPG: Turkish attacks on guerrilla areas continue unabated
The invading Turkish state continues its attacks on guerrilla areas in southern Kurdistan where it has been conducting an occupation campaign for over a year.
In its daily statement about the war in Kurdistan, the Press Office of the People's Defence Forces (HPG) reported uninterrupted attacks by the Turkish army in the guerrilla-held Medya Defense Zones in southern Kurdistan (northern Iraq).
According to the HPG, the Turkish army attacked the guerrilla positions in the Sîda area of Zap region on April 9. Fighting erupted after the guerrillas responded to an attack to defend themselves.
The guerrilla positions in Sîda were attacked with prohibited weapons on the same day.
On April 9 and 10, the Girê Cûdî resistance area, as well as the guerrilla positions in Çemço and Sîda were targeted by 16 attacks with helicopters, howitzers, tanks and heavy weapons.
Çemço and Sida belong to the Sheladize sub-district near the town of Amadiya in Duhok governorate and have been the focus of the occupation forces since the partial withdrawal of the Turkish army from the Zap region at the end of last year.
Turkey's attacks continue despite a ceasefire announced by the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK). The decision was taken after the devastating earthquake disaster in the Turkish-Syrian border area on 6 February. The Kurdish guerrillas, which include the HPG and the YJA Star (Free Women's Troops), are implementing the call for a cessation of all hostilities and are in a defensive position.
In a statement on February 9, the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK), an umbrella organization of the Kurdish freedom movement of which the PKK (Kurdistan Workers Party) is also a member, called for a halt of military actions in Turkey, in metropolises and cities. “It is necessary to prevent the people from experiencing even more suffering in this affliction”, said Cemil Bayık, co-chairman of the executive council of the KCK.
The Central Headquarters of the People's Defence Forces (HSM) expressed support for the KCK's call and said on February 11 that the guerrillas were ready to do their part to alleviate the suffering of people.
On March 27, the KCK Executive Council co-chair Besê Hozat announced that the unilateral ceasefire would remain in place until after the elections to be held in Turkey on May 14.